Monday, March 20, 2006

Aims, Objectives & Methodology

Goals & Aims: The goal of this study is to show how, critical and theoretical material on virtual communities relates to a specific, ongoing ‘community of interest’. The main aim of the presentation format is to deliver the information and results in a way conducive to participation. By combining both information and the opportunity to interact, the work not only stands as a contribution to the growing approaches to this field of inquiry but also becomes immediately peer-student-reviewed.

Objectives:

The main objective of this study is to establish whether or not the Covenant of Wildwood Gate constitutes an online, virtual community under the diversity of criteria set out in current research. The nature of the community is assessed against the likelihood of the members being comfortable with participation in metaphorical spaces, measuring to what extent their experiences online are enhanced through a conceptual sense of place.

Methodology:

The case study delineates findings from a specific community of interest, reporting the outcomes of research and inquiry. Every aspect of the study is linked to and referenced by academic research, scholarly papers and online journals and books showing how the Covenant of Wildwood Gate both conforms and at times deviates from other observations and studies.

Please contribute by offering a comment on the goals, objective and methodology of this study. What would you do different? Same?

2 Comments:

At 7:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I appreciate the abstract and the introduction. It helped me to focus on what I was about to read. It is a good preesntation technique. I think we talked about it before-

- Tell them what you are going to tell them.
- Tell them.
- Tell them what you just told them.

I don't know that I would have done it differently, yet I don't think I would have done it as well.
-Dean

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Kim Falconer said...

Yes, I really use the abstract to keep me on track.

As I mentioned in a WebCT post, I actually write the abstract first to get my thought clear on the project (or the introduction to an article or essay). It does change of course, by the time the whole thing is written, but the abstract/intro is what gets me going!

Otherwise, it’s too much blank space.

Thanks for your comments here.

Kim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home